Mission4Today  

Project: IL-2 1926 The Golden Age of Aviation
Lighten up, let off a little steam, tell a joke or two. Off topic and clean, suitable for all ages.
Users browsing this topic: None

1 2 3 ... 17 18 19
>
View previous topic :: View next topic
The following users give thanks for this topic gianlucabagatti - Sat Oct 27, 2012 08:27 PM, Ribs - Sun Oct 28, 2012 01:43 AM
Capitan_Diavolo
Flying Officer

Capitan_Diavolo

Post Post subject: Project: IL-2 1926 The Golden Age of Aviation
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 03:56 AM

IL-2 1946... IL-2 1956... IL-2 1916... IL-2 1936(SCW)....

As we can see, we do have various "packs" covering some very specific time periods....

But what is still missing? 1966 is almost there, with the Phantoms, Mig 21 and others planes being worked out...
and for sure we'll not have to wait for too long for 1976, 1986, 1996, 2006 (LOL)...

But one time period that (albeit we do already have some planes that can fit in) is still and very sorely missing, is the 1920 to 1935 one... The "Golden Age" of Aviation, Pioneerism, a period of great achievments, experiments... the Schneider Trophy races... Record flights... The barnstormers, and the beginning of the Commercial Aviation... The Flying Boats...

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that would like to see something coming up to fill this very interesting period of time... So here is an invitation to everyone interested to collaborate with informations about the time period we are speaking about, not only about the planes, but about the historical contest, and related stuff... For sure every bit of information will help our modders, campaign builders, skinners to add their talent in support of this idea...

thank you.

PS. - I limited the years from 1920 to 1935 to avoid overlapping the Spanish Civil War time period (1936 - 1939), wich is already up, and was in fact a bloody conflict, with almost nothing "romantic" in it...

Cheers.

Last edited by Capitan_Diavolo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 08:59 PM; edited 1 times in total
Davok_Solvang
Tea Boy

Davok_Solvang

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 04:03 AM

Yes I truly agree with you.. It is very rare that we ever see "Forgotten Era" of true beginning of "Golden Age' of aviation world in Simulation/Game world. World War I and II have been done many times and yet the most important evolution of aviation between World War I and II have been hugely missing in gaming world. There is many of designs, beautiful, ugly, elegant, rough, and countless types and styles within these first Golden Age (1920s to 1930s) aircraft. I wholeheartedly support this!

Davok

fresco23
Flight Lieutenant

fresco23

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 04:13 AM

Hi again Paulo! I also think thats a great idea! Im all in favour as well!

fresco23

juanmalapuente
Air Cadet Grade 1

juanmalapuente

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 07:36 AM

Great idea. Bring all the pioneers and experiments on.

sgtgendanbo
Air Cadet Grade 2

sgtgendanbo

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 08:24 AM

That would be great! There's SOOO many interesting planes in that era. Hopefully somebody will make a B-9 soon Wink

Schlageter1
Flight Sergeant

Schlageter1

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 09:23 AM

Paolo, that's an excellent idea.

We could just squeeze in the H-1, Howard Hughes' streamlined monoplane. It was the last civilian design to break the world speed record in 1935. A beautiful plane, and thought to perhaps to have some influence in the design of the Seversky P-35, which in turn led to the P-47 T-Bolt.

"I don't want to see this country ever go across the bridge... I know the capacity that is there to make tyranny total in America, and we must see to it that this agency and all agencies that possess this technology operate within the law and under proper supervision, so that we never cross over that abyss. That is the abyss from which there is no return..." US Senator Frank Church, discussing the NSA.

"The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Edmund Burke
Walter
Corporal

Walter

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 09:27 PM

Hi!

Nice to see you again!

I wish all the best at you and L.L.

At soon!

walter

PoorOldSpike
Air Chief Marshall

PoorOldSpike

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 01:27 AM

Problem with 1920's-30's aircraft is that they're mostly civil aircraft and don't have guns, so you can't do combat with them and some people might get bored!
Other non-combat Flight Sims already do them such as FSX, I've downloaded lots of free vintage addons into FSX (below)-

FSX: Junkers over Canada

Last edited by PoorOldSpike on Sun Oct 28, 2012 01:38 AM; edited 3 time in total
Ribs
Pilot Officer

Ribs

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 01:42 AM

Colonel,

This is a great idea! I don't know how much I could contribute but if you need any help in researching, testing etc., please ask!

Ribs

Capitan_Diavolo
Flying Officer

Capitan_Diavolo

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 02:01 AM

Ribs wrote:
Colonel,

This is a great idea! I don't know how much I could contribute but if you need any help in researching, testing etc., please ask!

Ribs

I'm asking! Very Happy Thank you!!

Last edited by Capitan_Diavolo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 09:00 PM; edited 1 times in total
Capitan_Diavolo
Flying Officer

Capitan_Diavolo

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 02:08 AM

PoorOldSpike wrote:

Problem with 1920's-30's aircraft is that they're mostly civil aircraft and don't have guns, so you can't do combat with them and some people might get bored!

With all the great campaign builders around, there will be no problems in creating some interesting "what if/ Pulp fiction/Crimson Skies/Porco Rosso style" campaigns or missions to put to good use what we can get. Imagine to recreate the Schneider Trophy races, or other competition so popular during the 1920 and 1930 decades... There are plenty of possibilities to play with... Wink

Last edited by Capitan_Diavolo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 09:00 PM; edited 2 time in total
PoorOldSpike
Air Chief Marshall

PoorOldSpike

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 02:55 AM

Interesting stuff..:)

juanmalapuente
Air Cadet Grade 1

juanmalapuente

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 08:49 AM

Thanks to several great modders, we already have some great civil planes wich are in the list above, such as Curtiss Condor, Junkers F-13/ W-34, DH-84, Ford trimotor, DC-3, Vultee V1 (militarized version). These aircraft are great for environmental enrichment in campaigns of 30s conflicts, for instance.
Most of these planes are perfect to fly over a beautiful map just for the joy of flying, or you could fly races or transport missions in difficult conditions. Additionaly, many of them could be used for SCW, China, Talvisota or colonial wars scenarios, so you could have some shooting around them too.

Davok_Solvang
Tea Boy

Davok_Solvang

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 03:40 PM

Paolo_Colussi wrote:
PoorOldSpike wrote:

With all the great campaign builders around, there will be no problems in creating some interesting "what if/ Pulp fiction/Crimson Skies/Porco Rosso style" campaigns or missions to put to good use what we can get. Imagine to recreate the Schneider Trophy races, or other competition so popular during the 1920 and 1930 decades... There are plenty of possibilities to play with... Wink

This, I agree! We can combine both of historical and 'what if' alternative historical world together to create great, epic experiences of 1920s - 1930s with both combat and civilian aircraft to populate the 'world' to make it feel so 'alive' when flying missions. My philosophy always have been like this, If you re-invent the wheel, how do you expect the different result? You dont... In order to experience something so different, we merge both historical and 'alternative' historical (official "What if" aircraft based on prototype, experimental, and document based *where aircraft didn't make past prototype stage designed by engineers in the past*) and bring them alive! I also am fan of unofficial "What if" (Not related to alternative historical aircraft, like Crimson Skies as example. These are fictional sim with designs based on official "What if" of Luftwaffe designs. Other examples is expressing our own creativity where we design our own aircraft at the same time based on our passions and hobbies where we would like to put into sim and experience it.) I am using word "Official" and "Unofficial" What if terms, in order, to avoid any confusions here. Official is "Alternative historical" where they were designed, being tested, where some went into prototype while some didn't historically. Unofficial is where aircraft is not directly related to any of history of aviation world, it is related to any fictional games/sim, along with our creativity where we create them into virtual aircraft.

By the way, I have seen WAY TOOOOO many sim that only cover historical aircraft, thats it. It is very tiring this way and I always have been thriving for new experiences where I can fly both historical and 'what if" alternative aircraft together where it bring much more lessons and experiences to me virtually. It adds much more dimensions to sim itself, in terms of experiences and fun times! It bring much more different possibles into sim. We have great passion, hobbies, and creativity in our hands and we can create the world where all aircraft from different worlds comes together.

Last edited by Davok_Solvang on Sun Oct 28, 2012 04:07 PM; edited 2 time in total
Davok_Solvang
Tea Boy

Davok_Solvang

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 04:04 PM

This is one of my favorite Official "What if" aircraft from 1930s. This aircraft is Boeing forgotten projects from Golden Age called Boeing Model 306. I am willing to bet that most of you have not even seen this before. This aircraft would be great add-on to 'alternative historical' aspect to sim. There are different variants of Boeing model 306s.

Boeing 306 Bomber:

Boeing 306 Flying Boat:

Boeing Model 306A:

Boeing Model 306B:

Boeing Model 306C:

Last edited by Davok_Solvang on Sun Oct 28, 2012 04:07 PM; edited 1 times in total

1 2 3 ... 17 18 19
>

Topics   Replies   Author   Views   Last Post 
Normal
No new posts Off Topic Project - Savoia S.21 - FOR REAL! 2 Capitan_Diavolo 1093
 Thu Jul 31, 2014 01:01 PM 
BH-21 View latest post
No new posts Film, movie and video clips. Desert Rat B17E Flying Fortress restoration project. 0 BH-21 584 Desert Rat B17E Flying...
 Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:55 PM 
BH-21 View latest post
No new posts Off Topic Kickstarter Project, TBD-1 Devastator related 0 tedinaz 1616 Kickstarter Project, T...
 Fri Apr 25, 2014 03:43 AM 
tedinaz View latest post
No new posts IL-2 General Discussion An idea: Team Golden Age 0 Capitan_Diavolo 481 An idea: Team Golden A...
 Sat Apr 19, 2014 03:35 AM 
Capitan_Diavolo View latest post
No new posts QMB Missions [ Poll ] New QMB Project: FastLoad 14 -HF-Aardvark892 1496
 Sun Mar 23, 2014 02:14 PM 
RedSpade View latest post