Tips and general discussion on mission building
Users browsing this topic: None
View previous topic :: View next topic
DeltaNiner
Corporal

DeltaNiner

Post Post subject: Historic vs Playable
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 07:41 PM

I'm just getting into the fmb and how many planes are involved is a point of uncertainty. Reading the encounters during the battle of Britain it seems even the small encounters would be pretty big by IL2 standards.

So do I scale it down and jeopardize historic value to have a mission that the players success (or lack of) effects the outcome of the mission.

or

Do I stick to the actual numbers of planes in a given confrontation and create an epic battle where the players actions are lost in the crowd and the outcome is decided by hoards of ai planes.

I'd like to know what the opinions are of the flyers and mission builders with more experience than myself.

Thanks
DeltaNiner

farber
Air commodore

farber

Post Post subject: Re: Historic vs Playable
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 08:32 PM

DeltaNiner wrote:

So do I scale it down and jeopardize historic value to have a mission that the players success (or lack of) effects the outcome of the mission.

Isn't survival and life after those fleeting two minutes the greatest reward?

DeltaNiner
Corporal

DeltaNiner

Post Post subject: Re: Historic vs Playable
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 09:05 PM

Quote::
Isn't survival and life after those fleeting two minutes the greatest reward?

so you would prefer epic battles over personal influence of the mission.
I agree that survival can be very rewarding though at times I find it to be quite elusive. Crying or Very sad

9./JG54_EZ
Air Vice Marshall

9./JG54_EZ

Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Cluster, Local Supercluster

Post Post subject: Historic vs Playable
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:56 PM

S~

If it's historical, and the individual pilots (the mission is based on) were just a drop in the bucket, then I think that it should be that way in the "historical" mission. Though, I have no problem dropping out of a battle that continues on without me (due to lack of ammo, or damage), if I'm that drop in the bucket.

You can't win them all Smile

Air Chief Marshall

sjcnospam

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 03:55 AM

Scale it down while leaving the player impression sufficient. Stationary objects are much less demanding on the computer than moving ones. Don't even think about populating areas which the player will never see, such as airbases on the other side of the map. Avoid spawning if you can. Can do lots of aircraft, but not best if concentrated within sight of player at one moment. Flak has to be scaled down too - each shell is a moving object that is modelled. Put enough flak to make it interesting. Don't forget the AI flak gunners are all crack shots, so you have to scale it back just to survive.

Last edited by sjcnospam on Wed Sep 14, 2011 01:43 PM; edited 1 times in total
Vole
Flight Lieutenant

Vole

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 06:37 AM

I would go for the historical value myself. Defending das Reich from swarms of B-17's is not much fun without the swarms - but off course you can't send in waves of hundreds of bombers. So you will have to scale down anyway. As some of the other posts says it is where you scale down that matters. Before setting up the individual mission think thoroughly about what the most important elements of that particular mission are - and then cut down on the rest.

Anyway missions where you have to do your utmost just to survive is great fun too Wink

Beebop
Admin & Founder Member
Admin & Founder Member

Beebop

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 AM

DeltaNiner,
I would agree with sjcnospam about just not populating anything but your home base.

Now, how would you rate your computer?
Low End
Mid Range
High End

I would try and make a BoB mission for the Mid Range because I believe that many of our members have such a rig. If you rated your computer as Mid Range then if the mission works for you then it should run fine for the majority.

Now if you rated your computer Low End make the best mission you can without it turning into a slideshow. Low End members will thank you and everyone else will have a breeze flying it.

Now if you rated your computer High End keep in mind that you are among the few. Turn up everything to max, your Anti-Aliasing, Ansiotropic, Perfect Textures, the highest level of trees and effects etc. then go about building the mission. When it starts to slideshow that would about equal a Mid Range machine.

Now for a practical test. Open your Quick Mission Builder,and try this scenario:

Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3

Note in Screen 3 that the 109's only have 40% fuel. You can try adjusting this to a lower percentage if you like. This might help because once they get around 20% they will want to make a beeline for home even if they have ammo. This helps replicate the fact that 109's had very little time over target often leaving the bombers to their own devices.

Now here's the kicker...
Once you set this into motion you can stop it right away and choose "Save Track". Give it a name like "BoB Mission 1", and save it. Close the game, open the game folder, find "records" and copy/paste the "BoB Mission 1.trk" file into your Single Missions/GB folder. Then change the suffix from .trk to .mis. Now this QMB will show up in the FMB and can make takeoff waypoints for the Germans if you like, or not. Note on screen 1 that this is a "Scramble" mission so the RAF takes off from the ground.

Here's what you'll face:

True, not the hordes that often greeted the RAF but more than enough to keep you busy until you run out of ammo.

This exercise should also give you some insight into basic mission making.

I hope at least some of this is helpful.

bingofuel
Pilot Officer

bingofuel

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:41 AM

Personnaly, I've got few hours a week to play IL2; this should be an evasive and relaxing time to me.

So, I know war has never been and will never be a pleasant time; in this sense I don't ask historical accuracy. Moreover IL2's just a simulating software that produces great moving pictures on a LCD screen, how could it be more realistic??

Just my one penny reco:
please, design for letting us believe we could have been an ass...
Very Happy

DeltaNiner
Corporal

DeltaNiner

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 07:10 PM

Many thanks to all of you for the guidance and the prompt reply's. So far the Battle of Britain is looking good with about 1/3 of what was actually there.
It might just be a facade, but e/a and tracers for as far as the eye can see is pretty convincing.

Again, thank you all for the insight that has made this a better scenario.

DeltaNiner

Topics   Replies   Author   Views   Last Post 
Normal
No new posts MODS: Ultrapack Nine Lives 1.2 – Historic Spitfire campaign for UP 3.0 6 Siggels 1494
 Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:18 AM 
spartan18a View latest post
No new posts IL-2 General Discussion New Battle of Britain Historic Spitfire campaign
[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]
19 Stratodog 5957 Re: Old comment
 Mon Nov 21, 2011 09:29 PM 
Stratodog View latest post
No new posts IL-2 General Discussion Nine Lives Historic Spitfire campaign Updated ! 11 Stratodog 2926
 Thu Dec 02, 2010 01:57 AM 
Stratodog View latest post
No new posts IL-2 General Discussion Proposed new legislation could affect historic aircraft tour
[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]
17 Thunderbolt56 2842 Proposed new legislati...
 Mon Nov 02, 2009 09:13 PM 
jt189 View latest post
No new posts Off Topic Historic Wars As RTSs
LOLing soon follows
5 109Driver4Life 1206 Re: Historic Wars As R...
 Mon Nov 02, 2009 05:13 AM 
109Driver4Life View latest post