Mission4Today  

X52 Pro and Brewster problems
The place for guides, member questions and hints & tips on playing IL-2
Basic tactics, game controls & options are in the FAQ. More guides are available in our Knowledge Base.

Users browsing this topic: None
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rekotin
On the learning curve

Rekotin

Post Post subject: X52 Pro and Brewster problems
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 07:24 AM

Hi guys,

I've fired up my IL-2 again after an 8 year or so pause. I even went out and bought a new flight stick as I apparently got rid of the old one. I've been loving the X52 Pro and have the configs mostly done, but I have one problem.

I've been running the Finnish (as I am one) single missions as a test bed for the configs and the Brewster is giving me somewhat of a rough time. It happens with other planes as well, but obviously I've seen it with the brewster first.

So, upon take-off, the plane does veer to the left unless I compensate to the right and thus keep it going straight in the runway.

When up in the air, the plane seem to be pretty steady, but I think at some point it seems like as if the plane would default to rising at a slight angle and perhaps turning a bit to the left again. I need to compensate this by keeping the joystick in a bit forward and right position. It seems though that this behaviour doesn't begin instantly, after take-off if I leave the stick alone, the plane seems to stay level until after a while it starts veering off.

So. Is this the wind? Physics? How Brewster handles? Or is it my Joystick? If I look at the calibration panels, there doesn't seem to be any movement in the stick unless I move it myself. I've set the stick configs to some values I found at a forum; 1, 4, 8, 16, 21, 34, 41 and so forth up to 100 if I remember right - this is for all the values except power. I've also set deadband to 1 for each of those, but could it still be that the X52 Pro is sending some noisy signals that could do this? It's weird that the calibration panel doesn't indeed show any forced movement to the left as described above.

I'll keep on investigating and it could be I've missed something, back in the day when I played IL-2 Forgotten Battles, I had no problems flying the things and I had some logitech joystick without HOTAS then.

jumpalong
Flying Officer

jumpalong

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 09:08 AM

It sounds like you need a bit of elevator and rudder trim. Almost every plane I fly requires constant trimming in rudder, elevator and sometimes aileron.

Ives
Air Cadet Grade 1

Ives

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 01:24 PM

Hey Rekotin
Have you set one of your x52 controls for trimming? You'll need one each for Elevator, Aileron, and Rudder. On the throttle control there is a few rotational controls that work great for trim wheels.
Elevator trimming is something you will be constantly changing throughout a flight. Do a search on this site for help on how to trim your planes ( helped me alot ). Also not all planes have trim options for all controls.

Ives

Rekotin
On the learning curve

Rekotin

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 03:48 PM

Hi,

Yea, I added the aileron, rudder and elevator trims to the different HOTAS wheels, but when I try to apply them, nothing really seems to happen. So then I start testing it from the keyboard and even though I don't get any text feedback about the changes (ie. as if you would get when you change the throttle level and see the "Throttle: 52%" etc. texts).

If I just click Rudder Trim Left a couple of times, nothing seems to happen. If I keep the button pressed, the plane starts turning left and stays so unless I Trim Right. Am I doing something wrong, since I spent about 15 minutes after take-off just trying to make the plane fly level in every axis and couldn't really nail it? It feels as if the plane is a piece of wood balancing on top of a round ball - the exact center of gravity is a tiny range of area, but once you slip out of the area, it goes all haywire.

I wonder what settings I played IL-2 Forgotten Battles back in the day, I don't remember doing anything with the trims Very Happy

Sakai007
Air commodore

Sakai007

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 04:32 PM

Heh, with the trim, you just need to get a feel for it. Some aircraft have the knobs or wheels for trim that move in the pit when you press the controls. If you don't use the pit, in no pit view the little circle with a tick mark on top and to the sides is your turn/slip indicator. Trim until that is steady over the center of the gun sight. You will have to adjust all through the flight. If you decrease throttle, trim, if you dive, trim, if you climb, trim. It will become second nature after a while. I use the regular X52 and the thumb wheel is for elevator trim, the top wheel for rudder.

Rekotin
On the learning curve

Rekotin

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 04:34 PM

Thanks Sakai007, I've been flying some quick missions and I'm starting to get the feel for the trims. Ain't easy, but getting there Smile

Erkki
Pilot Officer

Erkki

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 09:22 AM

Rekotin wrote:
Thanks Sakai007, I've been flying some quick missions and I'm starting to get the feel for the trims. Ain't easy, but getting there Smile

Original IL2 and FB had an "autorudder" helping a little, stabilizing level flight. It was remoevd in version 3.XX, I think 303 or 304.

Air commodore

Sakai007

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 AM

That is interesting Erkki. I have heard of auto-rudder in FSX or FS9 but not IL2. I played FB for a while, but honestly can't remember what settings were there. I probably used it and didn't even know, lol.

Erkki
Pilot Officer

Erkki

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 04:37 PM

Sakai007 wrote:
That is interesting Erkki. I have heard of auto-rudder in FSX or FS9 but not IL2. I played FB for a while, but honestly can't remember what settings were there. I probably used it and didn't even know, lol.

If I dont remember all wrong it was automatic if you had no axis set for rudder.

edit: it wasnt that "auto" though, only helped a little in keeping ball centered. Everyone did notice its absence once it was removed, though. Smile

Last edited by Erkki on Tue Apr 12, 2011 04:38 PM; edited 1 times in total

Topics   Replies   Author   Views   Last Post 
No new posts Mission Building Problems Submitting Mission
[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]
16 SchwarzeHund 6831
 Sun Sep 15, 2013 09:43 AM 
Gamekeeper View latest post
No new posts Installation and Patching Problems with Windows 7
Why I can't access the DVD stuff??
6 batistadk 3517
 Sat Mar 30, 2013 03:08 AM 
dwezl View latest post
No new posts MODS: HSFX Frequently asked question Problems/Solution
Please could you sticky this ?
0 charliechap 2295 Frequently asked quest...
 Tue Nov 06, 2012 09:45 PM 
charliechap View latest post
Normal
No new posts IL-2 General Discussion Problems with TFM 5 c22552255 385
 Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:23 AM 
c22552255 View latest post
No new posts Graphics Setup Some graphic problems 5 Manoel 659
 Fri Jan 03, 2014 03:03 PM 
Manoel View latest post