Mission4Today  

White Tiger
Before posting links to videos be sure to read the quick guide to posting videos
Users browsing this topic: None
<
1 2 3
>
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kurfurst
Air Chief Marshall

Kurfurst

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 PM

Experts have said the Germans should have massed produced the Pz 4 and not bothered with the Tigers and Panther. Maybe they are right, but you just can't fail to be impressed and intimidated by the Tigers presence. To our tankers in Cromwells, Shermans and Churchills, the psychological effect of a Tiger appearing in the area must have been horrendous.

Zeus-cat
Master of the FMB
Master of the FMB

Zeus-cat

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 04:48 AM

The Tigers were produced in ridiculously small quantities. The Germans only built 1,347 Tiger I tanks. They only built 492 Tiger II tanks. Both vehicles consumed huge amounts of fuel, required substantial logistics systems to keep them operating, were limited in where they could go because of their weight and were very expensive to manufacture. Overall, another one of Hitler's bad decisions.

They didn't give too many shots of the "Tiger" in the film clip, but I would guess it is a British Centurion with a Tiger I turret. People complain about the "Tiger" in Saving Private Ryan, but that one was far better looking than this one.

Kurfurst
Air Chief Marshall

Kurfurst

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 AM

The Private Ryan Tiger was a 'chopped' T34 and the Band of Brothers Jagdpanther was a ''chopped' T55. As Zeus-cat states, need to see more of this other Tiger replica to assertain its origins

Kurfurst
Air Chief Marshall

Kurfurst

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 AM

Just found some info on the kit used for this movie via this link. The info suggests that the 'Tiger' is a chopped Josef Stalin tank, but then, they built a replica Tiger. Check out the link, there's some good stuff

www.imfdb.org/wiki/Whi...tigr),_The

Kurfurst
Air Chief Marshall

Kurfurst

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 03:01 PM

See what this thread has forced me to do Rolling Eyes

spartan18a
Group Captain

spartan18a

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 03:30 PM

The Tiger in the movie is hideous!

Next time use the Bovington one!

[img]http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9071&d=1319888880[/img]

Last edited by spartan18a on Tue Jan 22, 2013 03:31 PM; edited 1 times in total
Sillius_Sodus
Squadron Leader

Sillius_Sodus

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 04:11 AM

Kurfurst wrote:
Just found some info on the kit used for this movie via this link. The info suggests that the 'Tiger' is a chopped Josef Stalin tank, but then, they built a replica Tiger. Check out the link, there's some good stuff

www.imfdb.org/wiki/Whi...tigr),_The

Nice touch that they included some of the lend-lease tanks, i.e, Grant and Matilda.

Sakai007
Air commodore

Sakai007

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 02:13 AM

Normandy was possibly the worst tank country in all of the war in northwest europe. When we finally broke free of the hedgerow country, the 8:1 kill ratio the German's enjoyed didn't last. Also, AFV's like the Stug III suffered in Normandy as they had no turrets and had a limited ability to react to threats coming from the flanks and rear.

When more open country was encountered, the superior cross-country performance of the Sherman allowed swift maneuver to negate the strong frontal armor of the Panther, Tiger, and Tiger II. The Panther in particular had fairly weak side armor, easily penetrated by the standard 75mm L/40 short barreled cannons used on the majority of Shermans.

While the Tiger II and JagdTiger have gained a certain mystique in the time since WWII, their actual performance in and out of battle was marginal at best IMO.

fj_13
Warrant Officer

fj_13

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 04:47 AM

Some may think I am crazy for saying this but. . .

where can I find an English Dub of this movie ??? it looks killer, but I am not a fan of reading subtitles if i dont have to.

Kurfurst
Air Chief Marshall

Kurfurst

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 09:37 AM

fj_13 wrote:
Some may think I am crazy for saying this but. . .

where can I find an English Dub of this movie ??? it looks killer, but I am not a fan of reading subtitles if i dont have to.

Probably can't, not for sometime anyway until someone decides to attempt it, and then it won't be good. Thought Downfall was a great movie to watch with subtitles, dubbed, it would have been terrible. If the Germans spoke English, they wouldn't have lost the war Wink

RUSTYMORLEY
Squadron Leader

RUSTYMORLEY

Post Post subject: Whit Tiger
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 09:29 AM

I picked up a copy of the film White Tiger from my local supermarket the other day and watched it. I have to say that I was impressed by the fact that they were using real T34s in the movie armed with the 85mm main gun, there must be a good supply of them still left in Eastern Europe. I was a little disappointed with the Tiger Tank in the film. Although the film had some good action sequences in it I can only give it about 80% out of 100. However as I am a bit of a tank nut I could not ignore it. Its worth a watch if you are a Tank nut...

Last edited by RUSTYMORLEY on Tue May 14, 2013 09:30 AM; edited 1 times in total
Ritterkreuz
Lance Corporal

Ritterkreuz

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 01:41 PM

Interesting preview, never heard of this movie so thanks for posting. I'll definitely have to check it out, but I have to agree with the original poster, the Tiger is obviously just another tank that has been modified to look Tiger-ish. Then again it's better than the old American War movies that just used repainted M-48's (remember "Battle of the Bulge"?)

Last edited by Ritterkreuz on Tue May 14, 2013 01:41 PM; edited 1 times in total
Ritterkreuz
Lance Corporal

Ritterkreuz

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 01:46 PM

Sakai007 wrote:
Normandy was possibly the worst tank country in all of the war in northwest europe. When we finally broke free of the hedgerow country, the 8:1 kill ratio the German's enjoyed didn't last. Also, AFV's like the Stug III suffered in Normandy as they had no turrets and had a limited ability to react to threats coming from the flanks and rear.

When more open country was encountered, the superior cross-country performance of the Sherman allowed swift maneuver to negate the strong frontal armor of the Panther, Tiger, and Tiger II. The Panther in particular had fairly weak side armor, easily penetrated by the standard 75mm L/40 short barreled cannons used on the majority of Shermans.

While the Tiger II and JagdTiger have gained a certain mystique in the time since WWII, their actual performance in and out of battle was marginal at best IMO.

I would debate that it was a matter of tactics. The Tigers, I and II, were excellent defensive tanks, as proven the the hedgerows. Offensively they were too slow. In the end, they did consume a tremendous amount of resources and I'm forced to agree that Pz. 4's were a much more cost effective tank. The Panther I would argue was a step in the right direction, but by the time it was finally up to snuff (remember that early models had a lot of teething troubles) it was too little too late.

steilkurvenpilot
Flight Lieutenant

steilkurvenpilot

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 05:26 AM

When I see how awesome they made the Russian side (even amazing) then I ask myself WTF did they think when they "made" that Tiger (lol). Seriously when u see how many real WW2 tanks are still there in museums (look at YT!) and even operational, why not use a real Tiger or at least a good animated one (things can look awesome nowadays as we all know). I'm really hoping for an epic WW2 movie to come which will contain real Tanks in some scenes. Imo the battle of Prochorovka would be a worthwhile theme for a 3 h + Blockbuster. If I had the money - I'd make great movies - I'm full of ideas. (also where is a new "Bismarck" - movie for ex.?) I really don't understand movie producers: Seldom that u say after watching "that was perfect" - so much effort, money wasted... Confused

Just had to add this - even that looks better imo...

Last edited by steilkurvenpilot on Wed May 15, 2013 06:27 AM; edited 2 time in total
spartan18a
Group Captain

spartan18a

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 07:00 AM

What game is that from the picture, T34 vs Tiger?

<
1 2 3
>

Topics   Replies   Author   Views   Last Post 
Normal
No new posts MODS: HSFX White texture error 0 Gen.Zax 88 White texture error
 Fri Apr 11, 2014 06:13 AM 
Gen.Zax View latest post
No new posts IL-2 General Discussion White Sun Blue Sky Campaign and 4.12.2
Missions Crash at end
[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]
18 Axe_78th 1798